Acupuncture involves the gentle insertion of fine, sterile, disposable needles into specific points near the surface of the body to stimulate the flow of “Qi”. Qi in Chinese medical theory is the life force or energy that runs through the body along twelve major meridians.
When Qi is balanced, there is a state of health and well-being in the body. External factors such as stress and diet over time can cause Qi to become deficient or stagnant, leading to disharmony and imbalance in the body that manifests as pain, disease, and emotional disorders. The painless insertion of needles directs the body’s attention to the underlying condition and allows the body to heal itself from within.
From a western medicine point of view, acupuncture produces physiological changes in the body including:
- Increased blood flow
- Stimulation of hormones and neurotransmitters
- Stimulation of the parasympathetic nervous system to promote deep relaxation
What to Expect:
- An initial visit lasting up to 90 minutes, covering your health history, goals for treatment and any questions you may have. Once all needles are inserted, you will lay comfortably for 15-45 minutes.
- Subsequent visits lasting from 30-60 minutes.
- A follow up treatment plan tailored to your individual history and goals, including lifestyle recommendations, supplements and Chinese herbs as appropriate
- An experience that may vary by person, depending on the type of problem being treated. Some people may start to notice the benefits almost immediately, others may feel a difference a few hours after treatment, and some may need several treatments before they notice an improvement. It is possible to leave a session very relaxed, or even energized.
Food is the foundation upon which the body’s energy is produced and is at the core of Traditional Chinese Medicine. At Orchid, we provide nutritional plans based upon your individual needs to improve your health and well-being.
Our dietary and nutritional needs change during each phase of our life, with seasonal or climate changes and with the level of activity in our lives. Thus, we all need to periodically readjust.
Daily meals form the foundation of our nutritional, biochemical and energetic health. The foods we eat on a regular basis determine how much energy we have available throughout the day. The foods we choose also profoundly influence our moods. For example, sugar gives a great initial feeling, while prolonged, excessive use can contribute to feelings of depression, low energy, mental fog and even to outbursts of anger and frustration.
By selecting foods which suit our constitution and health needs, our bodies are able to work more efficiently, heal themselves, and experience optimal health.
Chinese Herbal Medicine
Chinese herbal medicine is an integral component of traditional Chinese medicine, often used in conjunction with acupuncture as a safe and effective means of healing the body and mind. Herbs are used in combination – within a formula – to treat each patient’s underlying constitution and root patterns.
Are Chinese Herbs Safe?
- When prescribed by a qualified practitioner, Chinese herbal medicine is extremely safe and effective.
- Our practitioners have been trained to pay careful attention to dosage, combinations of herbs and any known drug-herb interactions.
- It is important that your practitioner be made aware of any medications or supplements you are taking to prevent any possible interactions with your herbal medicine treatment. In addition, patients should inform their Western medicine physician of the herbs they are taking.
Conditions Treated by Chinese Herbs
Chinese herbal medicine is a comprehensive form of medicine that can effectively address a wide variety of chronic and acute conditions. It has a long clinical history of treating conditions that are traditionally difficult to treat, such as:
- Gynecological issues (fibroids, endometriosis, PCOS, etc.)
- Female/male fertility concerns
- Chronic conditions, as well as conditions that do not have a Western medical diagnosis
Chinese herbal medicine may also be used to safely treat infants and pregnant/breastfeeding women, in providers with proper training and experience.
What to Expect:
- Our office utilizes granule powder herbs as appropriate and carries a full-line of pills and tinctures including pediatric formulas.
- Chinese herbal formulas are generally taken 2-3 times daily over a designated treatment period.
Our licensed clinical massage therapist offers a variety of techniques to suit your individual needs. Communication is encouraged with your therapist before and during your massage session to ensure that it is customized to your specific needs and preferences.
- Light to medium pressure
- Beneficial for increasing the level of oxygen in the blood, decreasing muscle toxins, improving circulation and flexibility while easing chronic pain and tension.
Deep Tissue Massage
- Deeper pressure than Swedish massage
- Beneficial in releasing chronic muscle tension
- Relieves tight areas within muscle tissue that may be referring pain to other areas of the body
- Incorporates Trigger Point Therapy, designed to alleviate sources of pain by isolating trigger points and using deep, concentrated pressure on these knot-like areas. (A trigger point is a tight area within muscle tissue that can create pain in other parts of the body.)
- An essential piece of prenatal wellness: safe relief from discomforts such as backache, leg cramps, sciatica, headaches, swelling, and more
- Reduces stress on weight-bearing joints, encourages circulation of blood and lymph, helps in relaxing both the mind and body
- Helps to relax nervous tension, aiding in better sleep, and support for anxiety or depression caused by hormonal changes of pregnancy
- Special pillows are used to support the back, hips, and legs for added comfort
Mayan Abdominal Massage
(Arvigo Techniques of Maya Abdominal Therapy)
Maya abdominal therapy has been known and practiced for thousands of years by midwives, healers, and shamans throughout Central America, Africa, and China. It features a comprehensive, holistic philosophy incorporating the physical, emotional, and spiritual levels of health.
These non-invasive external massage techniques, as practiced today, were developed by Dr. Rosita Arvigo in order to:
- Focus on the abdomen and pelvis in guiding the internal reproductive organs into their proper position, relieving tension in the diaphragm and abdominal musculature, and aligning the pelvis
- Improve organ function by releasing physical and emotional congestion, thereby helping to re-establish healthy circulation in the pelvic region
- Enhance circulation of blood and lymphatic fluids, and the elimination and secretion of hormones – essential for general pelvic health as well as healthy conception, pregnancy, and delivery
Benefits for Women:
- Reproductive health & fertility – relief of PMS symptoms, painful periods, irregular ovulation, PCOS, endometriosis, fibroids, ovarian cysts, and displaced or prolapsed uterus
- Pregnancy support – reduces muscle tension and sciatic pain, strengthens uterine ligaments, supports optimal fetal and pelvic alignment
Benefits for Men:
- Reproductive health – relieves symptoms of enlarged/swollen prostate, frequent urination, and impotency problems
Benefits for Everyone:
- Restricted breathing due to tension in the diaphragm
- Digestive health – IBS, indigestion, constipation, acid reflux, and heartburn
What to Expect:
- Comprehensive review of your personal health history and current health care needs
- Abdominal massage focused on aligning reproductive and abdominal organs
- Evaluation and application of structural alignment of spine with attention to the sacrum, tailbone, and mid and lower back
- Instruction in ATMAT self care techniques, so that you may continue the healing process at home
Reiki is a gentle bodywork technique that promotes healing through stress reduction and deep relaxation. This therapeutic treatment restores the body’s energetic balance, opens up blocked areas, and stimulates natural self-healing properties.
Our bodies are more than just collections of functioning parts. There are channels that govern the functions of all body systems, such as the nervous, digestive, endocrine, vascular, lymphatic, and reproductive systems. The way energy flows through these channels and the seven chakras contributes to our wellness or disease. When this energy is low, blocked, or imbalanced, the body is more likely to experience tension, stress and eventually illness. During reiki, the practitioner assists the body’s natural abilities to relax, release tension, and boost the immune system.
What to Expect:
- Session time includes a consultation to talk briefly about how you are feeling and what brought you in for the session.
- Wear comfortable clothing, if possible. During your session, you will remain fully clothed, removing only your shoes. The practitioner will use various hands-on techniques with gentle touch to slight pressure, depending on your needs.
- Some people fall asleep, while others experience a profoundly deep relaxation, or even feel recharged. Each individual session may have different results for one person.